Ayurveda emphasizes the need to keep your body in balance through natural means. According to Ayurveda, applying natural hair oil to your scalp and massaging it regularly, is a vital part of any good hair care regimen. There are many benefits of using Ayurvedic and herbal oils. They contain essential Ayurvedic herbs which stimulate hair growth and do wonders to your hair when applied warm. Let us now look at the various benefits of oiling your hair regularly.
Key Benefits of Oiling Your Hair:
- Promotes Hair Growth and Re-Growth: Applying Ayurvedic hair oil promotes hair growth and re-growth and also improves the volume and thickness of your hair. It helps to regrow your hair from the bald areas and prevent baldness and thinning at a young age.
- Treats Dandruff and other Scalp Disorders: Dandruff is a result of an over dry scalp which stretches and forms little particles of dandruff. If you are suffering from dandruff, irritation, inflammation, or an itchy scalp, applying herbal oil regularly can help you get rid of these problems quickly. For better results, add neem leaves and other essential herbs to the oil and apply this to hair an hour before you take a bath.
- Controls Hair Fall: Oiling your hair regularly prevents hair fall and hair breakage to a large extent.
Prevents Premature Greying: Oiling your hair regularly helps control premature greying of your hair, and reduce your dependency on chemical-laden hair dyes.
- Strengthens Your Hair: Ayurvedic oils contain rich herbs, rare fatty acids, essential vitamins and proteins that make your hair strong.
- Deeply Conditions Hair: Oiling lubricates, conditions and moisturises your hair deeply, and prevents it from getting dry. Dryness causes damage to your hair and creates problems like split ends, breakage, frizz, etc. Oiling can also be used to detangle your hair without much hair fall. Oil should be left on the scalp for a couple of hours to enhance complete absorption.
- Nourishes Hair Follicles: Massaging Ayurvedic hair oil on your scalp stimulates inactive hair follicles and nourishes them. This helps your hair to grow long and beautiful.
- Improves Quality of Hair: Regular oiling helps improve the quality of your hair, lessen split ends, and smoothen and soften the texture of your hair.
- Enhances Hair Shine and Lustre: Oiling hair at least twice a week and letting it stay over scalp for a day, helps to retain moisture in your hair for a longer time. This makes your hair look shiny and lustrous.
- Relieves Headache: As per Ayurveda, headache is usually associated with ‘vata’, which is dominant in the evening hours of the day. Apply Ayurvedic oil in the evening around 6 pm, to get rid of a headache.
- Promotes Good Sleep: A gentle massage on your head with Ayurvedic oil, half an hour before you sleep, can help you get a good night’s sleep. It also treats sleep disorders.
- Prevents Cold and Sinusitis: Applying mildly warm oil, especially coconut oil, to your scalp and hair also helps you to keep cold and sinusitis at bay.
- Prevents Fungal and Bacterial Infections: Are you aware that there are high chances of fungal and bacterial infections developing on your scalp if you are not oiling your hair regularly? Clogging of pores due to excessive dandruff layer formed over your scalp may lead to bacterial and fungal infections over the scalp. The oil acts as a replenishing agent which helps to treat clogged pores and fights against these infections.
- Rejuvenates and Provides Calming Effect: Oiling and massaging your scalp relaxes your tense nerves and helps to keep your mind cool and calm. It also helps in soothing and invigorating the sense organs. It is the best way to destress and feel rejuvenated.
- Repairs and Protects Hair Damage: The ultraviolet rays of the sun make your hair brittle, and can also lead to discolouration of hair. Hair oil provides the necessary vitamins and nutrients to repair damaged hair due to excessive sun exposure. It also provides protection against the harmful effects of the sun, dirt, and pollution.
When and How to Apply Hair Oil to the Scalp (Murdha taila): The Ayurveda Way
Applying oil to the hair and scalp is an ancient and traditional way improves the quality and strength of hair. In order to leverage the benefits of massaging hair oil onto the scalp, it is very important to apply it in the right way and at the right time. Here are a few tips and correct techniques to apply oil to your hair the Ayurveda way:
- Always apply oil thoroughly to your hair, roots and scalp at night, before you go to sleep, so as to increase its benefits for hair growth. Leave it on overnight, and wash your hair the next morning with lukewarm water.
- It is always better to warm your hair oil before applying, as warmed oils help in better absorption. But if you have ‘pitta’ imbalance, a headache, or rashes on your scalp, avoid the hot oil treatment.
- You can apply oil whenever you decide to wash your hair. However, you should avoid washing your hair daily, especially if you have long hair so that your hair does not become too dry. Limit hair washes to twice or thrice a week.
- A few people apply oil even after washing their hair and then go out. However, this is not desirable because the oil can attract dust and grime easily due to pollution and dirty your scalp even more. But you can apply oil to the scalp and roots when you are at home for quite some time.
All of us face hair-related issues like dryness, hair loss, hair thinning, baldness, dandruff, split ends and premature greying of hair. All these problems need a proper remedy. So, it is time to reconsider your regular hair oil and switch to an Ayurvedic one.